Friday, May 6, 2011

It is better to practice a little than talk a lot?

Is that the same thing as if you talk the talk you have to walk the walk? I’m not too sure but what I am sure about is that we all have to do our part in life, whether it be a little or big contribution, to help others.

I was one of those people for a long time that spoke but did little action. I always used to see underprivileged children, sure I felt bad for them, but I never used to do anything to actually help them. So I decided to change that. I recently started helping out every Saturday at Summer Greens, a poor suburb near the Canal Walk. Every Saturday helpers from different suburbs meet at a big park in Summer Greens where we play games, sing and entertain the children. The children that come every Saturday are some of the poorest, they live in small homes with 15 other family members, often don’t have food to eat, no more than two pairs of clothes and don’t even know what Christmas is all about as their families don’t have money to buy them even one small gift. Many of these children, between the ages of 4 – 12, are prone to gangsterism, something that is rife in the area, or drugs. It is a common sight to see a 13 year old girl walking around aimlessly and...pregnant.

These children often have no hope in life but by us being there and encouraging them to a brighter future away from drugs and the dangers of gangs, maybe this small contribution will have a big life changing impact on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment